Tongass Federal Credit Union
continues building its operations and services to the people of
Southern Southeast Alaska. We are the community credit union on
Revillagigedo Island (Ketchikan), Annette Island (Metlakatla), and
Prince of Wales Island (Thorne Bay).
Founded in 1963 by a group of teachers and public employees, and
soon joined by hospital workers, the credit union in the early days
had humble beginnings. Originally it was a desk in the School Superintendent’s
Office, as members pooled their money to provide capital (savings)
and made loans to each other.
This concept of “People-Helping-People” still drives
credit unions today as not-for profit financial cooperatives. Members
Some historical highlights:
- Spring 1999 – our first permanent facility with drive-thru
opened in Ketchikan
- December 2001 – The National Credit Union Administration
granted our community charter to include all of Southern Southeast
- October 2005 – We opened a branch in Metlakatla (vacated
by a bank)
- March 2006 – Thorne Bay volunteers organized an ATM and
- July 2007 – Thorne Bay Branch moves into Island News Building
- June 2008 – New Branch opened at the Klawock Market on
- November 2008 – Mary Frances Towers Branch opens in downtown
- March 2010 – Klawock Branch moves into Klawock Mall Unit 5
- May 2011 – TFCU Loan Center at 2106 Tongass Ave. opens
- July 2011 – Mary Frances Branch closed
- June 2012 – TFCU’s new branch building opens in Metlakatla
Areas of Membership:
The areas included are the Ketchikan Gateway Borough, the Outer
Ketchikan/Prince of Wales Census Area, and the Wrangell-Petersburg
Communities included are:
Ketchikan Gateway Borough: Entire Revillagigedo Island (Ketchikan,
Ward Cove, Saxman, etc.), plus
Pennock and Gravina Islands.
Outer Ketchikan/POW Census Area: Whale Pass, Point Baker, Craig,
Meyers Chuck, Klawock, Hydaburg, Coffman Cove, Naukati West (Bay),
Thorne Bay, Edna Bay, Metlakatla Indian Community, Port Protection,
Hollis, Hyder, Kasaan, Klawock.
Wrangell/Petersburg Census Area: The cities of Wrangell and Petersburg
plus Kake, Kupreanof, Port Alexander, Thoms Place and Rowan Bay.
Click here to contact us for more information
on membership requirements
is to assist, educate and enable our members to meet their
financial goals through friendly, affordable and convenient
services. As a community development
credit union, we have a vital role in enhancing the
quality of life in our island communities through member service.”
Tongass Federal Credit Union
Here are a few very important concepts to remember:
- Tongass Federal Credit Union is a nonprofit corporation.
- Our credit union is owned by its depositors (members). Our members
elect a board of directors from amongst the membership. The members
of our board of directors are volunteers and receive no compensation
for their individual work. Our board directs credit union policy,
set rates and ensures the credit union is responsive to the needs
of our membership.
- Dividend rates are set by the Board of Directors. Those rates
are based on the earnings of the credit union.
- The basis of our existence is helping people. Our mission is
to deliver affordable financial services to our membership.
the policy of this credit union that once an individual becomes
a member , they remain members regardless of employment or residency.
photos by: Diane Anders